[Dovecot] separate partition for index/uidlist

Daniel leva at az.isten.hu
Sun Mar 11 21:27:29 EET 2007

2007. March 11. 20:12, Timo Sirainen:
> On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 20:07 +0100, Daniel wrote:
> > > No. Each mailbox has separate index files, so the index files are
> > > opened when the mailbox is opened. So there's no way to have
> > > index/control outside chroot.
> >
> > So is it correct to state that chroot and Quota/FS does not work
> > simultaneously? The maildirs/mboxes will always be under the chroot
> > directory, so it is impossible to set the directory containing the
> > index/uidlist files in a place without quota, if it has to be under
> > the
> > chroot.
>
> Normally yes. Although it could be possible to do something tricky,
> such as temporarily make a mount --bind (assuming you're using Linux)
> inside the user's home directory for the index/control files. I'm not
> sure if that's a good idea though. :)

I like that peculiar idea; I would do that just to see if it works!
But fortunatelly I'm running OpenBSD :)
So, I must turn off the mail_chroot option, and also strip the
trailing /./ from the users' homedirs in the userdb file, right?
I know that in the config file you wrote that the chrooting is not
really needed, but if there is a tiny hope, I want to take a chance :)

Daniel