[Dovecot] Quota and Trash

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Mar 12 19:01:05 EET 2007

Hi Bernhard,

Bernhard Schmidt schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I finally got a grip on our mail guys to try out Dovecot after they
> started migrating a ~15k user mailsystem to Maildir+NFS (Netapp)+Courier
> and the performance was not as good as expected. So far the results are
> impressive, although there are of course a few small issues to be
> solved.
>
> One is the current Quota handling, which they use with Courier IMAP and
> (still) think it needs to be replicated 1:1 to dovecot.
possible with dovecot lda, at my knowlegde, dovecot lda only misses
the quota warn message like maildrop does ( but there is a patch written
as far i know ) after all you can use maildrop with dovecot too.
i have also experimental sieve server here , so you can use sieve for
filtering, and edit with avelsieves squirrel plugin.

> Currently they use maildir++ quota format. Mails moved to Trash get not
> included in the Quota calculation (standard "feature" of Courier IMAP)
> and get expunged after a certain period of days (IMAP_EMPTYTRASH).

use ignore trash parameter, this should do the job, read the wiki

> Is there any way we could replicate this behaviour with Dovecot? Not
> including mails in the Trash-folder into quota calculation seems to be a
> no-go to me according to the documentation, you can ignore the quota
> limit when copying messages into a certain folder with the "ignore"
> keyword but they are still included.
>
> This issue is directly related with the second one. Deleting old mails
> in Trash could be archieved with the expire-plugin, but that does not
> work with Dovecot v1.0, and I'd definitely want to run this. So I have
> to use "find", which deletes the mail from the folder. However, those
> mails are still included in the Quota calculation, so that will very
> likely become incorrect.

perhaps you might try trash plugin, which deletes mail i.e trash
folder if the the mailbox would run over quota by incomming mail
this seems to me a better koncept, than simply delete mail by their age
read the wiki about it.

cant say what you mean by quota calculation, i use quota in mysql , so i
have realtime quotas with thunderbird imap

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards

Robert Schetterer