[Dovecot] imap connection problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 13 15:15:20 EET 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 12:12 +0200, Ivan Pesin wrote:
> Have encountered some strange behavior of dovecot: after few days of
> work (5-7 days, ~50 users, imap over ssl or tls) dovecot stops respond
> with "* OK Dovecot ready.". I.e. connection gets accepted, but no
> response from dovecot:
>
> [ivan at dyn-226 bin]$ telnet imap 143
> Trying 192.168.100.9...
> Connected to imap.n-ix.com.ua (192.168.100.9).
> Escape character is '^]'.

It usually means that dovecot-auth isn't responding.

> After dovecot restart everything works OK. This behavior we started to
> observe since rc24, before that on rc9 we didn't see that problem.
> Currently running on rc26.

Show "dovecot -n" output?

Also when it happens, strace the dovecot-auth process to see what it's
doing. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/ProcessTracing

Or you don't mention anything about logs .. Did you check if it writes
anything there? http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging