[Dovecot] Alerts and pre-authenticated connections

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 18:19:04 EET 2007

Greetings -

On 13 Mar 2007, at 16:08, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 16:01 +0000, Mike Brudenell wrote:
>> Q1.  The UW IMAP Server supports "pre-authenticated connections" --
>> does Dovecot?
>
> dovecot --exec-mail imap

Excellent! I hadn't found that command line option yet: thank you.
In case anyone else is wanting pre-authenticated connections Googling
dovecot.org for "--exec-mail" has now led me to this helpful page on
converting from UW IMAP:

     http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-January/010968.html

>> Q2.  The UW IMAP Server can issue "IMAP Alerts"
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting

Hmmm... that might be OK for our current needs.

The nice thing about the UW server is your session monitors the
timestamp on the systemwide and per-user alert files and, if this
changes, re-reads their contents to issue the new/revised
notifications.  This enables notifications (eg, "The Mail service is
shutting down at 6pm for emergency work") to be sent during someone's
session, not just at session startup.

Thanks,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *