[Dovecot] tb-negative-fetch workaround

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Tue Mar 13 21:51:51 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I'm running out of ideas. Check with rawlog what exactly Dovecot and
> Thunderbird are talking to each others
> (http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html). Are there any large UIDs either?
> What is Thunderbird doing just before it sends that command? Maybe its
> local cache is broken?

I don't have actual ideas on the problem, but I can offer up some help
on how to debug it. Save the below as "runtbird.bat" and place it on the
user's desktop, and tell them to run this instead of the ThunderBird
icon. This will log all the debug info from the client so you can go
through it:

== snip ==
set mydate=%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~-10,2%
set mytime=%time:~0,2%%time:~+3,2%

set NSPR_LOG_MODULES=IMAP:5
set NSPR_LOG_FILE=c:\thunderbird_%mydate%_%mytime%.log

start /d "c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird" thunderbird.exe
== snip ==

Obviously adjust the log location and ThunderBird install folder as
appropriate. If you want to log all modules instead of just IMAP (SMTP,
e.g) then replace "IMAP" above with "all".

Note the above will create a date/time stamped logfile for each run, so
you won't lose the previous logs. The 'mydate' and 'mytime' are a little
bit of smarmy batch-fu, make sure you get all those percent chars and
whatnot in your copy/paste.

hth,
-te

ref: