[Dovecot] Postfix+Dovecot+LDAP

Ejay Hire ehire at globaloptions.com
Wed Mar 14 19:20:28 EET 2007

>> 2.  Do not use PAM and Ldap and then let dovecot talk to pam.  It is bad.
>> Don't do it.
>> 2a.  Unless you like users digging around in random mailboxes.
>> 2b.  NSCD is broken and should not be trusted.
>
> Erm... since I'm running precisely this kind of setup, could you
> please add some detail? I'd be very interested.
> Feel free to reply directly to me, but I think it should be useful
> also for ML archives ;)

For Me, When I was using Dovecot Pam->nss_ldap on 0.99, and 1.0rc1 and rc2,
it caused heavy system load.  When I turned on nscd, the system load went
down (Yeah!) but 8 of my 170ish users managed to POP mail out of the wrong
mboxes.  (I checked all the obvious things)

When I reconfigured Dovecot to talk directly to Ldap (Without Pam), the
universe returned to the normal level of entropy.

I posted to the mailing list
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-October/016720.html

and got a link to another person with the same behavior.
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-September/016454.html

The general consensus was that nss_ldap has some emotional problems and
dovecot seems to annoy it.... Kind of like poking an angry snapping turtle
with a stick.