[Dovecot] authenticating with LDAP and SSL

Nathan Fiedler nfiedler at bluemarsh.com
Sun Mar 18 22:26:09 EET 2007

I managed to configure Dovecot to use a local OpenLDAP server to
authenticate clients, without using SSL. However, I would rather that
LDAP is accessed using SSL, but I cannot get Dovecot to connect. All
that I did was change "uris" to "ldaps://localhost", and this appears in
the maillog:

Mar 18 12:53:00 server dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.rc15 starting up
Mar 18 12:53:01 server dovecot: auth(default): ldap_bind((null)) failed:
Can't contact LDAP server

Is there additional configuration that is needed for SSL?

Note that I altered the slapd.conf file from not requiring SSL to
requiring SSL when I changed the "uris" parameter. And, of course,
accessing the directory using ldapsearch works just fine. It seems that
there's only a problem when using SSL, but I don't know how to debug it.

Thanks