[Dovecot] Dovecot 'suicide'

Christian Skarby christian.skarby at interhost.no
Mon Mar 19 11:40:58 EET 2007

Den 19-03-2007 09:52, Luigi Rosa skrev:
> I have a Dovecot installation on a Fedora 4.
> With the last update from Dovecot RC10 to Dovecot RC27, the daemon kills
> itself every night with this error:
>
> Mar 17 05:23:11 mail dovecot: Time just moved backwards by 6 seconds.
> This might cause a lot of problems, so I'll just kill m
> yself now.
>
> The error appears just after the night maintenance script executes a
> ntpdate syncronization
>
> ntpdate is version 4.2.0a at 1.1196-r
>

> Well, 6 seconds are little more than a blink in human perspective, even
> if it is a long time for a computer point of view. Couldn't be possible
> to add a configuration option to avoid the suicide?
>
> Any other option other than suicide is better, because there could be
> situations of really unattended servers.
>

> Ciao,
> luigi

You could probably patch ioloop.c to accept more than 5 seconds of
adjustment and then recompile. According to the commit[1] it seems
IOLOOP_MAX_TIME_BACKWARDS_SLEEP determines a time limit in seconds, in
which dovecot will hang waiting for time to get back to at least what is
was (assuring that nothing is done "in the past".)