[Dovecot] Comments about LDA wiki page

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 22 02:48:30 EET 2007

Almost 4 months later, but I finally got around to doing something about
this. :)

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 16:25 +0100, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but IIUC some corrections, improvements, and
> comments could be made on http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA.

I split the page up and cleaned it up a bit.

> In the "Site-wide setup" section (and in dovecot.conf) it's suggested that
> access be restricted to the master socket somehow.

I just figured out that it's not actually all that important. If allows
only looking up userdb information for a given username. Updated the
wiki and dovecot-example.conf

> Oh wait, without -d the auth socket isn't used at all, only the HOME
> environment variable and default_mail_env are. Well, it shouldn't matter much
> if you're running a standard pam/passwd setup, but with a more complicated
> non-virtual setup I see only four solutions: Make deliver setuid root, remove
> root from the compiled-in FIXED_NEVER_USERS list, run deliver as a user/group
> that has write access to all mailboxes, or make the master socket
> world-writable.

Added a note about running deliver as setuid-root. I also changed the
per-user/site-wide to system/virtual user sections instead.