[Dovecot] Bug tracking system

Christian Skarby christian.skarby at interhost.no
Thu Mar 22 11:33:19 EET 2007

Den 22-03-2007 03:35, Timo Sirainen skrev:
> Took a while to reply because I haven't wanted to spend time on thinking
> about this.
>
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 22:23 +0100, Udo Rader wrote:
>>> Also I'd rather not require users to register into the BTS at all to add
>>> new bugs. Just writing the bug subject, description and giving an email
>>> address should be enough.
>> Yes, that is possible as well. There are two options for this:
>>
>> #1 Users remain unidentified and the bug is posted as a global user
>>
>> #2 Users are looked up based upon their email address. If an unknown
>> email address enters a bug report or adds note to an existing bug
>> report, it is automatically added as a BTS user.
>>
>> The latter has the big advantage that users can identify their own
>> bugreports/notes much easier later on.
>
> Yep. 2) is good.
>
>> Well, the disadvantage of this however is that it requires some
>> countermeasures to prevent spammers from using it as their way to make
>> us all happy with their lottery winnings, "enlargment" stuff and
>> such :-)
>
> Would be nice to get it integrated with this mailing list's
> subscriptions list. Subscribers can send bugs immediately,
> non-subscribers' bugs get moderated. Just like they are now. And bugs
> sent via web page wouldn't require moderation but a really simple
> captcha (like wiki.dovecot.org has now), which should prevent all
> spambots.
>
> Maybe the Mailman's subscriptions list could be pushed to the
> bugreporting system whenever it changes.

>>> Also from people not registered to the bug tracker? What about
>>> creating/preserving Message-ID / References headers so that the comments
>>> in one bug also show up as a single thread in the mailing list?
>> Yes, that is #2 from above. And about the headers ... the bugzilla email
>> interface support this, mantis however (which I would favour for various
>> reasons) does not support this out of the box AFAIK, but it is OSS, so
>> it should not be too difficult to patch it.
>>
>> Threading however is always possible based upon the subject of the
>> autogenerated mails coming from the BTS.
>
> I just always hate it when people break the threads in this mailing
> list. Evolution uses only References/In-Reply-To headers to track them.

>>> If the above two things could be made to work, I guess we could finally
>>> have a bug tracker. :)
>> Sure, if I can provide anything to get things working, just let me know.
>
> I'd at least like to try this. It would be nice to get a working bug
> tracker before v1.0 release. But I still have doubts about how annoying
> it would be to actually use, and how much time it would require to
> change everything to work just the way I want. I've already spend too
> much time changing MoinMoin, and Mailman's reply-to-list changes were
> kind of a waste of time too :)
>
> As for Bugzilla vs. Mantis, I'm not that big of a fan of Bugzilla, but I
> pretty much hate how Mantis looks like at least in
> [...]

How about using trac[1]? I can assist setting up and maintain it if
you'd like. (It's also possible to use trac without svn if you do not
want to use subversion.)

  * I think it should be fairly easy to make mailman update the trac
permission system.
  * As for captchas there is a version of the trac SpamFilter[2] that
implements this.
  * Trac utilises the References and In-Reply-To headers.

What do you think? I can set up a demo during the weekend if it sounds
interesting.