[Dovecot] LDA bouncing mails after upgrade

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Sun Mar 25 22:47:27 EEST 2007

On March 24, 2007 7:39:23 PM +0100 Milan Holzäpfel <listen at mjh.name> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on my system, I have a copy of /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver located
> in /usr/libexec/dovecot/postfix-deliver/deliver (only accessible to
> postfix and with SUID root permissions).  If I happen to forget to
> update this copy after an upgrade of dovecot, the deliver LDA bounces
> mails:

> Should I just set version_ignore=yes and remember myself to upgrade it,
> or could deliver return a code signaling "temporary failure", or should
> I rather make postfix interpret 89 as temporary failure? (don't know by
> heart whether that's possible).

You should leave version_ignore=no and remember to upgrade it.

One way (there are many) to avoid this problem is to invoke sudo deliver
instead of deliver.

Another is to (within postfix) configure the local transport to run
with root privs, avoiding the need for a setuid root program altogether.

-frank