[Dovecot] Version numbering

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 28 05:55:15 EEST 2007

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> a) Postfix-style: "1.1.UNSTABLE.YYYYMMDD" -> 1.1.0 (stable)

Not my favorite, but works for me.  Seems good for Timo, since he
likes to release dated snapshots anyway.

> b) Odd-even numbering: 1.1.x (unstable) -> 1.2.0 (stable)

I don't like this, as the average new user has no idea that the odds
are unstable, and runs them, then gets flamed for it, etc.  No matter
how well you document it on the web/wiki, people are going to mistakenly
run the odd number releases and get in trouble.

> With a) style the releases could be done by simply copying a nightly
> snapshot to releases/ directory and announcing the changes since the
> last release. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Why not just put actual (stable) releases in the "releases/" directory, and
put the "unstable" releases in another directory (unstable, testing, or
some such).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics