[Dovecot] Version numbering

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Wed Mar 28 15:17:47 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> After v1.0 is released, I can finally get back to sane version numbers.
> But any comments on which one is better:
>
> a) Postfix-style: "1.1.UNSTABLE.YYYYMMDD" -> 1.1.0 (stable)
>
> b) Odd-even numbering: 1.1.x (unstable) -> 1.2.0 (stable)
>
> With a) style the releases could be done by simply copying a nightly
> snapshot to releases/ directory and announcing the changes since the
> last release. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

A lot of the posts in this thread seem to be debating between version
numbering and storage layout, which are not mutually exclusive
considerations. I would go with the even-odd numbering scheme, along
with stable/devel storage layout. On the download page, keep the stable
series at the top, with devel/experimental listed below. Perhaps you
first get a page describing the stable and devel series, and must make a
selection before even showing download links. Plus, put the stable
series in /stable or /releases, and the devel series in devel/ or
/experimental or whatnot.

If people still manage to get confused about which version to run after
all that, well, should you be responsible for configuring the software
for them too? You have to stop lowering the common denominator at some
point.