[Dovecot] Deliverm, vpopmail, and valias

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Mar 28 20:47:33 EEST 2007

I'm in the final stages of testing my e-mail server to come and I seem
to have hit a roadblock.

One option of current vpopmail is to store all aliases in a valias
table, that looks like this:

+-------------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field       | Type     | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| alias       | char(32) | NO   | MUL |         |       |
| domain      | char(64) | NO   |     |         |       |
| valias_line | text     | NO   |     |         |       |
+-------------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+

where valias_line could be either an e-mail address (preceded by an
ampersand) or a command (piped to vacation for example).

I have already accepted a message for an aliased address, but the MTA
isn't going to be rewriting the envelope address, so how can I get
dovecot's deliver to dereference the alias and deliver to the correct
Inbox?  Because of the number of other hops[1] that the message is going
through, I don't want to rewrite the destination address unless I really
have to, but if that is the only option, that is what I'll have to do.

Thoughts?

John

1) inbound e-mail hits a qpsmtpd instance which validates e-mails using
several different filtering techniques.  Next the mail gets fed to a
dspam appliance running two Postfix queues (one before dspam and one
after).  Mail that isn't quarantine by dspam gets sent to the delivery
server (currently running qmail) and delivered to the final destination
(modulo sieve rules under deliver).  The only place I could conceivably
rewrite the address would be the second Postfix queue.

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group