[Dovecot] Version numbering

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Wed Mar 28 23:26:42 EEST 2007

On March 28, 2007 3:59:59 PM -0400 John Peacock <jpeacock at rowman.com> wrote:
> Frank Cusack wrote:
>>> You misunderstood that. After the release of 1.2.0, 1.1.x is
>>> frozen and development starts again in 1.3.0.
>>
>> And then how do you release 1.2.1?
>
> This is a well understood process (even/odd development).  Once 1.2.0 is
> released, all new development moves to 1.3.x.  1.2.1 is a bugfix only
> (typically implemented first in the 1.3.x branch and then backported).

Right, so my point is, you have the same problem and can't tell which
1.3.x is newer than a 1.2.x (on a feature-by-feature or bugfix-by-bugfix
basis).  I guess it might not matter.  But it's nice to say "use 1.2.5+"
for such-and-such feature and not have to worry that 1.3.0 doesn't actually
include that feature.

-frank