[Dovecot] Version numbering

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Mar 30 01:51:39 EEST 2007

--On Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:46 AM +0300 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
wrote:

> After v1.0 is released, I can finally get back to sane version numbers.

Have the RC's released new features as well as fixed bugs? I've been
hesitant to upgrade to an RC because they seem to be released so frequently
and I have no idea if one is more or less stable than another. This
uncertainty is a big show-stopper to upgrading. It would help if, for a
given RC, we knew exactly what known issues that RC had. (Is that in the
wiki?)

I'd suggest that a "version" be assigned only to something that should get
spread around. A nightly snapshot should get the version it was based from
and a timestamp suffix of when it was extracted from CVS. (Were this
Subversion, I'd append the repository revision, instead.) The snapshot is
not a "version" but a convenient download from CVS. It should be exactly
what you get with the same timestamp used in a checkout command.

Apache's versioning scheme (posted by John Peacock) looks good to me:

<http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html>