[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Mar 31 03:04:58 EEST 2007

--On Friday, March 30, 2007 4:52 PM -0700 Frank Cusack
<fcusack at fcusack.com> wrote:

> It's very easy.  In the dovecot world, "rc" means "development version".
> Or are you too stupid and ignorant to learn how the versioning works
> for dovecot.  (Sorry, that's directed to another dovecot thread; I'm
> not calling you stupid and ignorant.)

That's fine for isolated users supporting only themselves. But it won't win
any mind share in the boardroom. If you want widespread deployment to get
proper testing (and hence a larger user base) you need a version number
that gives business people the confidence to install it. Otherwise you'll
be limited to avant garde hobbyists who have nothing to risk.

Once 1.0 locks down, you should see a huge expansion of users. Bug fixes
(not features!) in 1.0.1 will see further expansion. Any new features (like
the recent addition of the wiki to the tarball) should be in the scary and
experimental 1.1, not 1.0.