[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

John and Catherine Allen allen at vo.lu
Sat Mar 31 10:32:26 EEST 2007

Kenneth Porter wrote:
  > That's fine for isolated users supporting only themselves. But it won't
> win any mind share in the boardroom. If you want widespread deployment
> to get proper testing (and hence a larger user base) you need a version
> number that gives business people the confidence to install it.
> Otherwise you'll be limited to avant garde hobbyists who have nothing to
> risk.
>
> Once 1.0 locks down, you should see a huge expansion of users. Bug fixes
> (not features!) in 1.0.1 will see further expansion. Any new features
> (like the recent addition of the wiki to the tarball) should be in the
> scary and experimental 1.1, not 1.0.

Three comments from a regular reader of this list:

- Dovecot has been safe to use in many configurations for quite a long time, certainly
through most of the 1.0rcXX releases. Many of the issues addressed in these releases are
either in highly specific cases, or have only a marginal effect. Overall, the reliability
and functionality of Dovecot is on a level with commercial software.

- my experience at work - I'm talking about IT in the European Commission, with 20000+
users and a huge array of applications and development projects - is that no commercial
software is free from "issues", whose impact depends on exactly what you are trying to do
at a given moment. Everything has to be evaluated in your context, no matter whether it's
Exchange Server 2003, Oracle 10 or Dovecot 1.0rc29.

- "mind share in the boardroom" is not the only possible goal for a project....

John

--
John Allen
Bofferdange, Luxembourg