[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Mar 31 17:10:31 EEST 2007

Dean Brooks <dean at iglou.com> writes:

> I have to agree with you on this.  I'm relatively new with Dovecot and
> have been evaluating it for deployment in a production environment.  I
> must say that Dovecot has the most unusual development method of a
> large-scale project I've seen.
>
> There have been so many show-stopping bugs in the past 10 releases
> that I wouldn't even consider this a candidate for a Beta release
> at this point, let alone a production release.

At the end of the day, the question is how to call it - if it's alpha,
beta, rc, all have different needs. Yes, it should have been alpha or
beta.

OTOH, if you've tried to get people to test release candidates, that is
hard enough. Most will silently wait for the real release ship when they
next update their $DISTRIBUTION (and after that complain that from 0.99
to 1.0 the configuration file format changed, or something like that).

So I still have some sympathy for Timo's many release candidates. I'd
rather he called a broken release "RC" rather than have showstoppers in
the actual release :-)

Features aren't good in rc though. But let's wait how 1.0 looks before
we complain :-)

--
Matthias Andree