[Dovecot] File Changes and IDLE

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Thu May 3 02:06:14 EEST 2007

Hi Timo and all,

I used to use Dovecot back in the 0.99 days a couple of years ago, had
since moved to Courier IMAP, but with the release of Dovecot 1.0.0, I'm
looking at moving back!

One thing I currently have set up and working with Courier is the use of
the enhanced IDLE mode, whereby Courier uses FAM (File Alteration
Monitor) to monitor changes in the INBOX, and sends the details to the
client as soon as a new mail arrives.

Is this something that Dovecot supports?
If possible, I'd prefer not to use FAM, as it crashes at random
intervals and I have to keep restarting it.

When I configured Dovecot, it said "File change notification method
..... : none".  Does this mean FreeBSD doesn't support any method of
notifying of file changes?  Is there any way I can install, or
re-configure the kernel, to include this support?

Thanks,

Andy