[Dovecot] some clarification re: ACL?

Matt Zukowski mzukowski at urbacon.net
Wed May 9 18:15:15 EEST 2007

Perhaps adopting Courier-IMAP's ACL specification might make sense? Tab
is the delimiter instead of space, so spaces are allowed in identifiers.
Also, negative permissions are possible (i.e. +r to grant read access,
-r to disable it). Also, I believe precedence is based on the order of
the rules in the file, so you could have the group permissions override
the user permissions by placing the group constraint further down.
Anyway, there's also probably some benefit in using a common ACL
format... interoperability is a good thing (unless you're Microsoft).

Regarding the group permissions not working, am I to understand that as
of now they are implemented but don't actually do anything? i.e. how can
I make use of the group constraints?

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 12:40 -0400, Matt Zukowski wrote:
>
>> The ACL documentation is at http://wiki.dovecot.org/ACL is a bit
>> vague... I'd be happy to update it myself, but I need some clarification:
>>
>> For example, I have a dovecot-acl file with:
>>
>> group=portal_admin lrw
>> anyone l
>>

> The page also contains "Groups aren't currently supported, but only
> because the groups can't be specified in userdb currently."
>

>> Secondly, what is the group-override identifier supposed to do?
>>

> Updated the page:
>
> Group-override identifier allows you to override users' ACLs. Probably
> the most useful reason to do this is to temporarily disable access for
> some users. For example:
>
> user=timo rw
> group-override=tempdisabled
>
> Now if timo is in tempdisabled group, he has no access to the mailbox.
> This wouldn't be possible with a normal group identifier, because the
> user=timo would override it.
>

>> Thirdly, are spaces and other special characters allowed in the
>> group/username identifiers?
>>

> Spaces unfortunately aren't. I was thinking about this myself also a
> while ago. I'm not sure what would be the best way to change the current
> format to support spaces.
>
> Other characters are allowed.

This e-mail message is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.
Le contenu du pr'esent courriel est privil'egi'e, confidentiel et soumis `a des droits d'auteur. Il est interdit de l'utiliser ou de le divulguer sans autorisation.