[Dovecot] Managesieve: first steps

Joseba Torre joseba.torre at ehu.es
Thu May 10 17:00:36 EEST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to get managesieve to work but, as usual, I have some issues...

- First of all, the compilation process after applying the patch is a bit
strange. I've used this way (i'm using centOS 4 for this pre-tests):

$ tar zxvf dovecot-1.0.0.tar.gz
$ cd dovecot-1.0.0
$ gzip -cd ../dovecot-1.0.rc28-MANAGESIEVE-v4.diff.gz | patch -p1
$ autoreconf
(This ends with an error about missing ./ylwrap)
$ automake --add-missing
(This copies ylwrap to ., but fails if executed before autoreconf)
$ autoreconf
$ ./configure && make && sudo make install

but I'm quite sure that should exist a better way...

- After this, adding

protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s managesieve

and

protocol managesieve {
  listen = *:2000
  login_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/managesieve-login
  mail_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/managesieve
}

to dovecot.conf, everything seems to work fine (pop3 and imap work as usual,
and I can connect to the managesieve port), but dovecot -n gives no output.
(If I put out managesieve from the protocols, dovecot -n gives the normal
output again). (This output is appended at the end)

- Finally, I'm using Plain as the authentication mechanism, and I've been
unable to connect using kmail or the sieve extension for thunderbird. As I'm
not sure if any of these really work, I'll setup horde for further testing.
Is there anything that I should be aware of?

dovecot -n output:
# /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
syslog_facility: local1
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
listen(default): *:143
listen(imap): *:143
listen(pop3): *:110
ssl_listen(default): *:993
ssl_listen(imap): *:993
ssl_listen(pop3): *:995
ssl_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/dovecot-beta.pem
ssl_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/dovecot-beta.pem
login_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/dovecot/%u:CONTROL=/var/dovecot/%u
mmap_disable: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugins(default): quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(imap): quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(pop3): quota
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/pop3
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %v.%u
auth default:
  master_user_separator: *
  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-master.conf
    master: yes
  passdb:
    driver: pam
    args: blocking=yes