[Dovecot] SASL using different auth database?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri May 11 03:57:36 EEST 2007

   Hi folks.  Is it possible to configure Dovecot to authenticate
against one mechanism (i.e., /etc/passwd) for POP/IMAP connections,
while providing a SASL authentication socket that satisfies
authentication requests against a different mechanism, say MySQL?

   The goal here is to allow users to have different passwords for
SMTP authentication and POP/IMAP connections.  I am converting an
existing installation to Dovecot...this installation currently has
quite a few users who are configured with SMTP authentication (Cyrus
SASL/saslauthdb) using different passwords than are configured for
their POP connections (via cucipop, /etc/passwd).  If someone can
think of any better way to accomplish this goal, I'm all ears.

              Thanks,
              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire