[Dovecot] read only bug?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 11 15:55:53 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 15:30 +0200, Nagyon Almos wrote:
> I split my mailboxes with mb2md which was
> a very bad decision: not every mailbox started
> with the INTERNAL FOLDER DATA email and it lost them.
> It seems to have mixed up the filesnames too, because
> ls 1154939281.00005.pc1\,* | wc -l
> says 10 and they are different emails!

The base filename continues up to the ':' character in the filename, so
if there different characters between the '.' and ':' then they're still
treated as different files. Try something like:

ls|sed 's/:2,.*//'|sort|uniq -D

> Is there any way to make dovecot to not correct these?
> Or it is a very important that maildir files should have different
> basenames?

If you have 10 files with the same basename, Dovecot shows only one of
them and the rest are ignored (and if it had write permissions, they
might get overwritten as well).