[Dovecot] BUG REPORT - Stops logging after sleep

Bruce Bodger bbodger at bodcon.com
Fri May 11 16:26:16 EEST 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Bill Cole wrote:

>> My system.log is rotated nightly followed by a pretty standard
>> syslogd restart...
>>
>> if [ -f /var/run/syslog.pid ]; then kill -HUP $(cat /var/run/
>> syslog.pid | head -1);
>
> That's not a restart, it is a 'hangup' signal that will make a
> normal syslogd reread the config file. The problem with that is
> that when you do it, Apple's syslogd completely stops logging. I'm
> not sure why that is, but I've been working around it since the
> 10.4 release and Apple has had a bug report for that long.
>
> If you actually kill syslogd with a TERM or KILL signal it will be
> restarted by launchd and it should log properly.

Of course you're right regarding HANGUP vs. restart.  However, that's
the line that appears in Apple's default daily cron job.

I've just tried modifying it to remove -HUP from the line and force
it to truly be restarted by launchd.  Same result regarding dovecot,
though.

>> Killing and restarting dovecot causes it to write to the log again.
>
> That's a bit surprising, since if you are using syslog, the dovecot
> processes don't know anything about the specific log files that
> syslog  is using. The implication of what you are seeing is that
> the breakage is between dovecot and syslogd, and that restarting
> dovecot fixes it.

That would be accurate, Bill.  I suspect the problem to be within
dovecot since, as I mentioned earlier, neither uw-imap or other
running daemons exhibit this problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Bruce