[Dovecot] Virtual User Home Directory, and APOP Clear Text Passwords

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 11 17:45:23 EEST 2007

See the bottom of http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Mbox

>      2. I would like to use APOP in addition to SSL/TLS.  Currently
> Dovecot saves APOP passwords as clear text.  I understand this.  But is
> it possible to have some sort of encoding, for example, Base64?  Just to
> prevent casual reads.  I have several users.  I do not want to know
> their passwords just to add them to the APOP database.  I do not want
> other roots to read my passwords, intended or not.
>
>         Encoded passwords also have the advantage that I can use
> passwords that contain the colon sign ":".  It would be nice if
> something a little harder than Base64 can be used.

Currently there isn't anything like that. But I guess for v1.1 I could
finally make it possible to specify base64/hex encoding in the scheme,
so you could use eg. {plain.b64} or {plain.hex}.

If you really need this now you could also modify the sources yourself.
It should be pretty easy to add a new plain.b64 scheme to
src/auth/password-scheme.c (could also be implemented as a plugin)