[Dovecot] Semi-static userdb...?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 11 17:57:44 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 14:00 +0100, John Robinson wrote:
> I'm trying to add "virtual" mailboxes to a system. Real users with
> different uids own domains. Each domain has a passwd-file passdb. I
> don't want to use this passwd-file for the userdb, because I want to fix
> the home, mail and uid/gid settings. Can I use the static userdb in a
> less static manner, e.g.
>
> userdb static {
>    args = uid=%{owner of /vmail/%d} gid=%{gid of /vmail/%d}
> home=/vmail/%d/users/%u
> mail=mbox:/vmail/%d/users/%u/mail:INBOX=/vmail/%d/users/%u/INBOX
> }

Hmm. You could always use a checkpassword script which does everything,
but the above does look like it could be useful. I'm just not sure what
would be the best way to implement it so that it would be useful for
other kinds of configurations too..

One possibility would be to set "uid_file=/vmail/%d gid_file=/vmail/%d".
I guess that would be good. Added to TODO, but I'm not sure when I get
around to implementing it.