[Dovecot] SASL using different auth database?

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Fri May 11 18:39:24 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 20:57 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>    The goal here is to allow users to have different passwords for
>> SMTP authentication and POP/IMAP connections.  I am converting an
>> existing installation to Dovecot...this installation currently has
>> quite a few users who are configured with SMTP authentication (Cyrus
>> SASL/saslauthdb) using different passwords than are configured for
>> their POP connections (via cucipop, /etc/passwd).  If someone can
>> think of any better way to accomplish this goal, I'm all ears.
>>

> Currently you'd have to run two Dovecots to be able to do this. If you
> do that, set a different base_dir for them and that should be enough.
>
> I'll try to make this work with one dovecot-auth for Dovecot v2.0.

If you can assign two IPs to the server, one for SMTP, and one for
POP/IMAP, and you can use a SQL backend, you could craft your db schema
and queries to pull the appropriate password based on the local IP of
the connection. I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but
I figured I would throw it out there anyway.