[Dovecot] header-lines of subfolders have to be rescanned after each client startup

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 13 21:54:39 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 22:16 +0200, Rainer Sigl wrote:
> no, I don't use NFS but it may be a permission problem.
> I have virtual users so all the directories belong a artificial user
> 'exim' and also group 'exim'. Additionally I saw now that the file
> dovecot-uidlist has the protection 600. The creation date of
> dovecot-uidlist is the date when I synced first time the folders with
> dovecot after installation. But strangely a change of the permissions to
> 666 has no effect, dove-cot isn't changed.

dovecot-uidlist is supposed to be 0600. Are the imap processes running
as "exim" user as well?

Don't you see any errors in Dovecot's logs (see
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging)?

> A additional info may be that I migrated von courier imap.
> So the mainfolder INBOX. and single subfolders have a correct changing
> dovecot-uidlist with 600 and exim exim.
> All subfolders below the upper subfolders (.Sent.2005.2-Mar) don't
> change dovecot-uidlist.

dovecot-uidlist changes only when new messages arrive or when existing
messages are expunged. So I guess it's normal that in archived Sent
boxes the uidlist isn't modified.