[Dovecot] Question: contention with blackberry

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Mon May 14 23:09:27 EEST 2007

My production imap is currently UWIMAP with mbox.. One of the problems
commonly observed is mailbox lock loss, which happens when:
a) a VIP has multiple secretaries accessing a single mailbox (actually,
they are professional enough to have figured the realities of
conflicting access and rarely have a problem),
b) somebody leaving their machine on at home and coming in and firing up
their work computer
c) important people with Blackberries....and the BB service polls the
mailbox  every so often and breaks the lock.
In any case, the maillog  ends up with a message like this:
> May  5 19:45:04 mercury mail:info imapd[2035774]: Logout user=xxxxx host=bda056.bis.na.blackberry.com [216.9.249.56]
> May  5 19:46:52 mercury mail:info imapd[2502902]: Killed (lost mailbox lock) user=xxxxx host=cpe-24-161-103-11.hvc.res.rr.com [24.161.103.11]
 How will this work with Dovecot?  I regard what is happening now as OK,
working as designed.
Although we may eventually move to a different mailbox format, I am only
switching from UW to DC in the first step.

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources