[Dovecot] LDAP for Virtual Domains

Bryan Vyhmeister dovecot at bsdjournal.net
Fri May 18 04:48:35 EEST 2007

On May 17, 2007, at 12:06 AM, Gavin Henry wrote:

> <quote who="Bryan Vyhmeister">
>> Is anyone using LDAP along with Dovecot where mail is being accessed
>> in the form of /var/vmail/${domain}/${user}? I have not figured out
>> how to extract the domain from LDAP in order to make this work. I
>> know this is sparse information but maybe there is an easy fix. If
>> not, I can post more information.
>
> What config have you tried?

Sorry, I should have given more detail. Right now, I have one server
which is authenticating off of a passwd file from Dovecot. Postfix
accesses Dovecot's auth socket interface for SMTP AUTH passwords and
such. I use a virtual mailbox map and virtual alias map through
Postfix to decide where to deliver mail. In Dovecot, I have
mail_location set as follows:

mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/domains/%d%n

That allows it to work fine for finding my mailboxes. I have tried
the default Dovecot LDAP file but I am not sure I really understand
how it all works. I guess this also involves picking a logical way to
setup my LDAP structure as well.

I think I could make this work by making the LDAP uid
user at domain.com. I don't think this is the best way of setting it up
though. All of my users login with user at domain.com and I want to keep
it that way. It does not seem like LDAP was designed to authenticate
this way quite as well.

Bryan