[Dovecot] dovecot-shared being ignored?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 19 01:28:22 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 16:22 -0500, bhayden at umn.edu wrote:
> So, I'm working on a shared folder. Everything is nice except for one bit.
>
> My dovecot-shared file in the Maildir is either being ignored, or doesn't
> work the way I think it does. Any messages copied into the Maildir using a
> mail client are mode 660 and owned by the user who did the copy. Perms on
> the dovecot-shared file are 700 (I'm using Solaris ACLs in addition to the
> Dovecot ACLs in order to prevent unauthorized access via means that don't
> pass through Dovecot's IMAP server... ie SFTP/SCP, and so I'm using 700
> with a rwx mask and access to the file set per user in the Solaris ACL).

Well, first of all I don't understand why you're using 700 and not 600.
Also I don't understand where exactly you've applied ACLs, to mail files
themselves or to dovecot-shared? In any case Dovecot wouldn't even try
to copy the ACLs if you wanted that.

But as for why the mail files are 660, that's a bit weird. If you didn't
have dovecot-shared file at all, are they still created with 660? If so,
the only thing I can think of is that you've changed umask from
dovecot.conf. The default is umask=077 (and it's already been removed
from dovecot-example.conf because changing it doesn't work in any useful
way).