[Dovecot] May 21 09:13:14 mail dovecot: imap-login: No authentication sockets found

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Tue May 22 01:49:35 EEST 2007

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:

>>> Ive been runing dovecot on a fc6 dell poweredge 2950 for about 4
>>> weeks now with no issues.  Im authenticating against openldap
>>> 2.3.27.  It appears ok.  I restarted ldap, and dovecot, and
>>> everything looked fine
>>
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
> auth default:
>   passdb:
>     driver: pam
>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd

Just FYI, you are not authenticating [dovecot] against OpenLDAP; you're
authenticating using PAM, and it's PAM who is doing the LDAP lookups via
nss_ldap. (http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/Passwd)

Did you have all the other 'old' (30d+) files in /var/run/dovecot/
before having restarted the daemon(s)? Any chance you saved a ls -l of
that dir somehow? One thing to check is if the socket alone disappeared,
or if others (the PID file, for example) were also gone. Since they'd
typically have the same datetime stamp, it would provide a clue...

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid, Inc | http://www.fluid.com