[Dovecot] Quota warning message ala courier

Gabriel Millerd gmillerd at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:08:15 EEST 2007

On 5/21/07, Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de> wrote:
> I have to face it, my users are retards:
>
> Level1: "You ALMOST exceeded your quota, you're at 90% now"
> Level2: "You're very close to exceededin your quota, you're at 95% now"
> Level3: "Would you please clean up now? You're at 99% now"

I use dovecot imap, pop, lda + exim with maildir++ quotas all sql
backended. I have a small perlscript that uses
mail::imapclient->append() to place a message in their inbox detailing
something similar to your 'level' information as well as a dspam like
alert if need be and a few other things. I use a custom msgid so that
i can easily 'replace' the message with a new one. So in your level
example as they rise from 1,2,3 they would only see 3 if they never
saw 1 or 2 as new message. Back dating the message also helps to keep
it noticed.

If you use dovecot's lda your quite able to do something at that
moment to check the quota and toss a crafted message into the mix
using the deliver script.

I think an entry on the dovecot wiki dealing with one of the quotas
plugins mentions this.

If your using a filesystem quota and have real users a script wouldn't
be hard to craft to do the warn/hard messages either. But pushing a
lot of warnings into the inbox would be my fear which is why i replace
mine.

--
Gabriel Millerd