[Dovecot] unexpected error message (maildir_sync_index)

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Thu May 24 16:24:04 EEST 2007

On Thursday, May 24 at 10:40 AM, quoth Timo Sirainen:
>> dovecot: Error: IMAP(bmoore at forkit.org): file maildir-sync.c: line
>> 1075 (maildir_sync_index): assertion failed: (uid > prev_uid)
>
> Can this be reproduced?

Not reliably or at-will (yet); it was a bit of a surprise.

> Is there anything special in that mailbox's dovecot-uidlist file?

Nothing super obvious. The UIDVALIDITY is a number that doesn't
correspond to any of the files in the mailbox, but I don't know if
that's typical or not.

The only thing that is, generally, unusual about the setup is that
there's a cron job that periodically pulls messages out of
.INBOX.Spam.Report and .INBOX.Spam.Ham, feed the messages to
spamassassin, and in the case of ham, re-delivers them via procmail.
The crash was very close to a 5-minute boundary (i.e. when the cron
script runs).

It's probably not relevant, but another odd error that I got from this
particular domain (but a different user) was this:

dovecot: Error: IMAP(xxxxxxx at yyyyyy.org):
rename(/var/lib/vpopmail/domains/forkit.org/xxxxxxx/Maildir/.INBOX.Trash.wiechman.rdw,
/var/lib/vpopmail/domains/forkit.org/xxxxxxx/Maildir/..DOVECOT-TRASHED)
failed: Not a directory

That didn't cause a crash, but... <shrug>

> Do you have a core file from the crash? See
> http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html

I don't; but I just modified my run files to do a `ulimit -c
unlimited`, so that next time it *will* generate a core file.

As for the basic information:

     Dovecot 1.0
     Debian Linux (stable/Etch)
     x86
     ext3

And here's my dovecot -n output:

base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/forkit
log_path: /dev/stderr
log_timestamp: listen: imap.forkit.org:143
ssl_listen: imap.forkit.org:993
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/certs/imap.forkit.org.pem
ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/private/imap.forkit.org.key
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/forkit/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_greeting: There was suppose to be an earth-shattering KA-BOOM!!!
login_greeting_capability: yes
valid_chroot_dirs: /var/lib/vpopmail/domains
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 64020
last_valid_uid: 64020
first_valid_gid: 64020
last_valid_gid: 64020
mail_location: maildir:%h/Maildir
dotlock_use_excl: yes
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks: yes
mbox_write_locks: fcntl
mail_drop_priv_before_exec: yes
mail_executable: /usr/local/bin/relay-ctrl-allow-wrapper.sh
/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_log_max_lines_per_sec: 0
auth default:
   mechanisms: plain login
   default_realm: forkit.org
   user: vpopmail
   passdb:
     driver: ldap
     args: /var/lib/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
   userdb:
     driver: static
     args: uid=64020 gid=64020 home=/var/lib/vpopmail/domains/%Ld/%Ln

~Kyle
--
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if
you really make them think, they'll hate you.