[Dovecot] Converting mbox to Maildir, all prior read messages are downloaded as new

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu May 24 22:53:03 EEST 2007

On 24.5.2007, at 22.22, Eric and Barbara Sammons wrote:

> I am running dovecot 0.99.  Everything works great; however, now I
> am looking at several different tools to convert mbox to Maildir.
> It seems the tools, mb2md.pl, perfect_maildir.pl, and others all do
> what they claim; however, when the messages are converted and they
> are stored in Maildir/cur, the email clients download these
> messages as new.

I guess you're talking about POP3. You'd need to be able to preserve
the POP3 UIDLs (see http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration), which would
require that you also preserve the IMAP UIDs in the mbox -> Maildir
switch. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any scripts that preserves the
UIDs, although it wouldn't be difficult to write support for that.