[Dovecot] IMAP basics

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon May 28 03:47:31 EEST 2007

Paul Scott wrote:
> I have several POP mail accounts.  I have installed and partially
> configured Dovecot 1.0.0 on Debian sid.  I am having trouble
> understanding some of the basics.

In the chain of mail delivery, you could view IMAP as parallel to POP3.  It is a
way for your mail client to retrieve mail from the server.  The big difference
(as I'm sure you're aware) is that the mail _stays_ on the server.  Very handy
if you want to read your mail from many places, or want only to backup one
machine, or.....  meanwhile:

> For starters do I need to fetch my POP mail (fetchmail, etc.) myself?

Yes, you will still need to deliver mail to the mailbox(s) your IMAP server is
giving you access to.  If you want to collect mail from several POP accounts,
you will need a tool like fetchmail to do that.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net