[Dovecot] Converting mbox to Maildir, all prior read messages are downloaded as new

FiL @ Kpoxa FiL at kpoxa.org
Wed May 30 19:19:07 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
>  On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 14:36 -0400, FiL wrote:
> > This is not only about POP3, as far as I can tell. If you
> > converting mbox to Maildir (dovecot to dovecot) - UIDs change. And
> > if you have your client set to cache all the messages and you have
> > over 1Gb in your mail... well, it will be transferring all your
> > mail again. Deleting the old one (as it is not on the server
> > anymore) and re-downloading new ones.
>
>  Right. But it's not as bad as with POP3 where the messages are
>  downloaded as duplicates.

It's pretty bad if you trying to check your mail over the slow
connection (and some users do that).
Also at least 1/3 of my users have 100Mb just in the inbox and much more
in other mailboxes. And I know, that
server just wouldn't handle the load the first day after migration.

> > I have all my mbox-es in /raid/mbox/%u I have set convert_mail =
> > mbox:/raid/mbox/%u:INBOX=/var/mail/%u in the dovecot.conf. But for
> > some reason the folder with mail doesn't get renamed after
> > conversion. Is that the way it should be?
>
>  And the destination isn't /raid/mbox/%u? It should have renamed the
>  %u to %u-converted.

The destination is /raid/Maildir/%u/ but the original folder doesn't get
renamed. I will play with it a little more and let you know
the details.

FiL