[Dovecot] dovecot + LDAP + SASL?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Thu Nov 1 12:37:39 EET 2007

Hi,

I would like to setup an IMAP server with SASL and LDAP support.

As far as I can see dovecot supports SASL and LDAP, but not the way I
need it.

If I understand dovecot correctly, it has it's own set of SASL
mechnisms and uses the LDAP server just to store the plaintext
password. In case of authentication dovecot fetches the plaintext
password from LDAP and then performs the SASL steps internally.

I need to support proprietary SASL mechanisms built into an LDAP
server, which are not based on just a single password.

So is there a way to configure dovecot to just pass SASL through to
LDAP, allowing the IMAP client to talk SASL with the LDAP server
through dovecot?

regards
Hadmut