[Dovecot] sync with gmail?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 03:57:26 EET 2007

On Thursday 01 November 2007, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Neal Becker wrote:
> > Now that gmail added imap, I've been trying to see if I can sync
> > gmail/imap with my local dovecot maildir.  I've been trying offlineimap.
> > So far, I've created a loop resulting in a directory with size > 1000000
> > entries.
>
> I haven't tried, but:
>
> 1. Are you using offlineimap in IMAP<->Maildir mode, or IMAP<->IMAP mode?
> I found the former way stabler.
>
> 2. You might also try the offlineimap mailing list.
>
> I wish you good luck, and I'm interested to hear more.  More verbosity
> from you would help, like what options you tried and if there were any
> errors, etc.

I tried Imap<->Maildir.  That was easy to setup without messing up my existing
imap (just use cp -al old-maildir new-maildir).  I guess to do Imap<->Imap I
could create another user account on my dovecot server (I'm the only user on
that system, it's just using local accounts and local unix auth).

.offlineimaprc is attached.  I wanted to try syncing just 1 folder
(fetchmail).  I've never used offlineimap before, and was just guessing at
some of the settings.
-------------- next part --------------
[general]
accounts = Test

[Account Test]
localrepository = Local
remoterepository = Remote

[Repository Local]
type = Maildir
#localfolders = ~/Mail.imap
localfolders = ~/Mail.test
folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername in ['fetchmail']

[Repository Remote]
type = IMAP
remotehost = imap.gmail.com
ssl = yes
remoteuser = ndbecker2 at gmail.com
nametrans = lambda foldername: re.sub ('^\[Gmail\]', '', foldername)
folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername in ['[Gmail]/fetchmail']
sep = '/'