[Dovecot] some mail accesses in dovecot 1.1 stall for a bit (in progress)

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Fri Nov 2 18:12:05 EET 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 06:04:12PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

  On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 17:15 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
  > Sometimes when I login to dovecot and read a message from an imap maildir folder,
  > the message contents do not load for at least 10 seconds, sometimes closer to a
  > minute, but after that first message loads, the rest seem fine in that mailbox.
  > The time seems to vary some, usually longer rather than shorter.

  Getting a strace from what the imap process is doing at the time would
  be useful. It sounds a bit like a stale dotlock, although Dovecot waits
  for two minutes for that. http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/6dd5df1c1ec9
  fixes a stale dotlock overriding issue.

Agreed, I've wanted to get a trace since the first time I saw it, but I've been
using dovecot 1.1 all week and hardly seen it.  Its possible a patch improved it
or there was some other cause, so its just something I'll watch out for and try
to tackle as soon as it becomes reproducable.  After some further preparation
this weekend I plan to expand my testing of 1.1 beyond just myself and one server,
since I've been very happy with the current state of 1.1 this week versus 1.0.