[Dovecot] mail-sql update

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 12 20:07:50 EET 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 16:27 +0000, Daniel Watts wrote:
> > SQL backend has been possible for a long time and there's already a
> > kind-of working version available:

Wasted a bit of time getting it to work again. It's horribly inefficient
when saving messages and EXPUNGE seems to be somewhat broken, but at
least it kinda works. :)

http://dovecot.org/patches/mail-sql.patch
http://dovecot.org/patches/mail-sql.tar.gz

Unpack mail-sql.tar.gz to src/plugins/, apply the patch, run autogen.sh
and configure. Use:

mail_location = sql:pgsql:dbname=mails host=localhost user=foo password=bar

(the key=value pairs are named the same as in dovecot-sql.conf)

> Hey that's cool - didn't realise this was available . Timo what is your
> own opinion of sql based mail storage vs maildir (or dbox)? When is it a
> good idea?

I don't really know. Maybe if you want to use the mail database for
something special. Performance definitely isn't a reason.

I'm not sure if this would allow multi-master replication though. I know
MySQL offers support for it, but what happens when both masters have
added a row that causes a unique key collision? Can you write triggers
to fix those cases automatically?