[Dovecot] Mail.app IDLE support

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 14 20:13:13 EET 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 13:05 -0500, Martin R. Ehmsen wrote:
> I'm trying to use the new IDLE support in Mail.app on Mac OS 10.5, and
> it works sort of, but it seems to miss some notifications.
> My guess is the IDLE support in Mail.app is implemented such that it
> sets up a connection for IDLE notifications and then checks the mail
> via another connection, and because of that the "IDLE-connection" gets
> disconnected for inactivity after 30 min. The reason for my guess is
> that I get the following in my logs:
..
> dovecot: Nov 14 17:43:29 Info: IMAP(amanda): Disconnected for inactivity
>
> Is there something I can do about this problem? Is the IDLE
> implementation in the 1.1 branch different from the implementation in
> the 1.0 branch of dovecot?

Yes, it's different there. In v1.1 it never actually disconnects for
inactivity. It sends "Still here" notifications every 2 minutes, so if
the connection is really dead those sends should cause Dovecot to notice
the disconnection.

But is disconnection the real problem? I changed IDLE a bit also in
v1.0.6:

	* IDLE: Interval between mailbox change notifies is now 1 second,
	  because some clients keep a long-running IDLE connection and use
	  other connections to actually read the mails.