[Dovecot] dovecot.index mtime

Matt lm7812 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 00:37:58 EET 2007

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Matt wrote:
>

> >> I think I'd avoid actually disabling the account through the MTA,
> >> especially if it's for security considerations and your accounts have
> >> shell access. But it wouldn't be that hard:
> >
> > My actual goal is to reduce load on the server.  These are simply
> > email users and have no shell or any other access.  If there not using
> > the account I do not want Exim wasting resources virus scanning, spam
> > scanning(spamd) and storing messages for them.
> >
> > I want to add all email users that have not checked email through pop3
> > or imap in ~6 months to /etc/virtual/suspended_email.  Exim will
> > reject messages to these accounts with error message: "Account
> > suspended due to inactivity".  I do not want to suspend pop3 or imap
> > access in fact if they start using the account again I want to
> > automatically re-enable.  Likely will run a script in cron.daily to
> > check all this.
> >
> > I think that better explains what I am after.
>
> Yes. And it all sounds pretty reasonable.
>

> I guess the issues I still think are important:
>

> 1. You shouldn't use dovecot.index as your marker file.

I gave up trying to use dovecot.index.  Instead I look at each users
./new directory.  If there are any messages over 6 months old I put
there email address in file that tells exim to reject any new
messages.  Run the script in cron.daily so if they start using it
again it will reactivate in 24 hours or less.  Having to look at all
messages in the ./new folders is significantly more CPU and I/O load
though.  Having run the script last night it seems to work fine.
Audited some of email addresses it added to be blocked and none look
out of place.

Matt