[Dovecot] umask not applied

Thomas lists at abelonline.de
Thu Nov 15 01:30:18 EET 2007

Hi all!

I am trying to get dovecot-1.0.rc15 to create files with mode 660 in
my virtual mailboxes. I set umask=0007 in dovecot.conf, restarted
dovecot (/etc/init.d/dovecot restart) and send me an e-mail but it is
still 600.

"dovecot -n" says "umask: 7" How come the zeros are not displayed? Is
this by intention or is something wrong?

Here is the complete output:
# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_extra_groups: mail
mail_location: maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n
umask: 7
auth default:
   mechanisms: plain login
   passdb:
     driver: sql
     args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
   userdb:
     driver: static
     args: uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/home/vmail/%d/%n allow_all_users=yes
   socket:
     type: listen
     client:
       path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
       mode: 432
       user: postfix
       group: postfix
     master:
       path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
       mode: 384
       user: vmail

I searched the wiki and googled but couldn't find anything helpful. Do
you have any ideas?