[Dovecot] NFS lock tester

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 22:06:00 EET 2007

On Thu, 15.11.2007 at 04:32:16 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Anyone who has NFS, could you test: http://dovecot.org/tmp/locktest.c
>
> 1. Compile: gcc locktest.c -o locktest -Wall -g
> 2. Start in server 1: ./locktest temp1
> 3. Start in server 2: ./locktest temp2
> 4. Server 1 might log "unlink() failed" error after starting the second
> locktest, ignore that.

I'm not quite sure how this is all meant. What's the point in running
this on two different NFS servers? Do you mean to run it on two clients,
inside the same NFS dir using the same 'temp' ressource?

I ran it on a 6.2 FreeBSD Server and a 7.0 FreeBSD client. When using
'temp1' and 'temp2' as per your example, nothing really breaks.

When using 'temp1' for both, I got this on the 7.0 client:

% /tmp/locktest temp1
6 successes
14 successes
23 successes
33 successes
unlink(): No such file or directory
42 successes
42 successes
42 successes
43 successes
43 successes
43 successes
link(): No such file or directory
(1)%

> It starts writing something like:
>
> 1 successes
> 12 successes
> link() succeeded, but link count=1
> 12 successes

This never happened.

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.