[Dovecot] unlink_directory(....Trash.NewFolder) failed: Directory not empty

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Nov 18 11:12:46 EET 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 19:50 -0500, Adam McDougall wrote:
> 3.  Right click on Trash folder in Thunderbird, choose "Empty Trash":
>
> Nov 16 19:47:25 boomhauer dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9):
> unlink_directory(/home/mcdouga9/Maildir/dovecot/boomhauer/private/indexes/.Trash.NewFolder) failed: Directory not
> empty
..
> (sometimes has a .nfs.blahblah file, I think I failed to catch it quick enough this time)

I think that's the problem. If Thunderbird opens the mailbox in one
connection and then tries to delete it in another connection, Dovecot
still has some files open in that directory and when they're deleted
kernel goes and renames them to those .nfs* files.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about that, except maybe try
to give a nicer error message ("Internal error" -> "Can't delete an open
mailbox").