[Dovecot] imap process consuming 100% CPU (Dovecot 1.0.3)

Jackie Hunt jackie at yuma.acns.colostate.edu
Tue Nov 20 21:30:06 EET 2007

>:w On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 16:12 -0500, Stewart Dean wrote:
> > I think I'm seeing this with TBird and 1.0.7...with my own account!  It
> > may even be a Tbird problem.
> > I have a 4way mail server, so when I get 25%, it's 100% of one
> > processor. I tried killing the imap process on the server and  it can
> > back at 9% and climbed quickly back up to 25%.  It wasn't until I
> > shutdown my TBird session that a clean imap session was established.
>
> You could truss the process or do something else to find out what
> Thunderbird and Dovecot are talking to each others. If shutting down
> Thunderbird dropped the load, it sounds like a bug in Thunderbird. Some
> clients have been known to keep requesting same data over and over again
> from the server in some situations. If I could see what the IMAP traffic
> looks like, I might be able to add a workaround to it.

What Stewart describes sounds exactly like what we are seeing.  Killing the
imap process doesn't change anything, it requires the client to be shut down
to avoid using 100% CPU.  We have a user who was seeing this every morning.
However, something has changed and he now sees it about every 7 to 10 days.
Another interesting note is that he didn't see the issue when we were
running U of Wash's imap server.

Thanks for the suggestion on the truss command, Timo:

"truss -d -rO -w1"

I'll definitely post my results when I have some.

Jackie
---
Jackie Hunt
ACNS                                    Voice:  (970) 663-3789
Colorado State University               FAX:    (970) 491-1958
Fort Collins, CO  80523                 Email:  jackie.hunt at colostate.edu