[Dovecot] dovecot mysql support

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Wed Nov 21 11:11:35 EET 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 03:21:08PM -0500, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

>>> The packages at ATrpms already come with mysql support. Did you try them?
>>
>> Do they also have 'inotify' support? I seem to recall trouble with the
>> ATrpms version of dovecot. The particular CentOS 4.5 box I was using still
>> had a 2.4 kernel, since it'd been recently upgraded from RHEL3. (We didn't
>> want to upgrade the kernel on the remote box since it was working fine for
>> our purposes).
>
> No, on RHEL4 (and therefore CentOS4 as well) inotify has been
> disabled. Although I didn't document the reason good enough, so maybe
> it is worth while checking if a rebuild would be OK (simply rebuilding
> the package will enable inotify). Would you like to test it and report
> back?

I don't have access to that server any more. It was at a former job. But,
I just finished installing CentOS 4.5 into a VMWare server. (It's
something I'd wanted to try for a while, so I used this as an excuse.) I'd
be happy to test on that.

> As for a 2.4 kernel on RHEL4 & clones: The kernel will not provide the
> neccessary inotify functions, but I hope dovecot will just notice that
> and not fail on it (e.g. just disable inotify support). But I haven't
> tested that combo.

I'm not optimistic that this will work, but I can certainly give it a
shot.

Best,
Ben