[Dovecot] dovecot loading during boot

Marcus Rueckert darix at opensu.se
Thu Nov 22 17:38:24 EET 2007

On 2007-11-22 15:12:22 +0100, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> [ adding the list back to Cc ]
>
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 14:28 +0100, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> > On 2007-11-22 13:31:59 +0100, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > > And impossible for SuSE out-of-the-box, given their
> > > braindead [1] init scripts.
> >
> > what is so braindead about it?
>
> See these posts, the second one in particular. Also, my original
> Shorewall rules and documentation might be interesting.
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/shorewall-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03986.html
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/shorewall-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03985.html
>
> Please note that the initial reason for the above pinning down NFS ports
> is firewall-friendly behavior and sane rules. With NFS, most involved
> services use random ports by default, particularly statd, lockd, mountd,
> rquotad. Which leads to somewhat unsatisfying rules as shown in [1].
>

> The init script shipped by SuSE offers no way whatsoever to pass
> rpc.statd options, even though it does for rpc.mountd -- and thus no way
> to pin down the port out-of-the-box short of hacking the init script.
>
> Marcus, please feel free to keep me posted on this issue and a fix. I'll
> happily forward updates to the Shorewall lists.

which is not that correct. all nfs related init scripts are marked
config. hence all change you do to the init scripts will be preserved on
upgrades, as long we dont change the init script. if the init script got
changed it will copy your file to foo.rpmsave and put the new file in
place. you can later merge your changes into the new file. anyway

there are many sysconfig variables for nfs already. if you see the need
for more the best thing would be to open a bug.[1]

hope this helps

    darix

[1] http://bugs.opensuse.org/

--